Monday, March 31, 2008

A Philly Steak and Cheese Epiphany

Saturday, I was at the mall and to be more specific, the food court. I started to walk along the restaurants looking at all my choices. I was really hungry but I wasn't quite sure what I wanted exactly. Taco Bell? No, I had that last night. Burger King? No, not really wanting a burger at the moment. Subway? No, not that either. The last time I got Subway here, it was cold when it was supposed to be toasted.

I continued to look and along the way I was offered a free sample from one of the ladies standing in front her restaurant (is restaurant the word I should be using when talking about the food court?). I stuffed this sandwich in my mouth and it was so good. That convinced me, I wanted a Philly Steak and Cheese sandwich.

I proceed to get in line and eventually I gave the guy my order/payed and I moved down and waited for my food to come up. I took my food and waited for Steph (my gf) and we went to find a place to sit down. I sat down, took my drink off my tray, put some salt on my fries and looked at this beautiful sandwich that sat before me. I couldn't wait to stuff the whole thing in my mouth and then it hit me.

I just got served a Philly Steak and Cheese Sandwich by three Hispanic guys and an Oriental man. What an ironic and beautiful thing. These men have all come from various cultures and here they are making an iconic American sandwich. I don't necessarily mean that they are from another country themselves but what I do mean is that they or their families are from different parts of the globe just like ours are or were at one point. And at one point or another, somebody in their family and ours chose to come here and when they did, they brought their culture with them. Maybe that was something that they did themselves. Who knows? But that's not the point is it? The point is that we are the melting pot of the world. We take everybody and nobody is excluded and they have the freedom to be who they are. The freedom to be who God made them to be. Granted, racism is still a major problem but the ideal is so awesome.

I then proceeded to look around the mall at all the different types of people. That's what's so beautiful about this place. We are all in this together. We take all cultures and we make them our own. We accept them and find the beauty in them and they become a part of the bigger picture. It made me proud to be an American. It was a good moment.

There really isn't a teaching point here or anything. I just wanted to share such a divine moment with you all.

Tyler

2 comments:

Souled Out ... said...

uhm ... tyler ... it's called a PHILLY CHEESE STEAK.

please get that right. please don't abuse the PHILLY CHEESE STEAK name and us PHILLY people again.

thanks buddy.

Jared and/or Tyler said...

Pretentious prick...

Jar