Saturday, March 22, 2008

Zip. Zilch. Nada.

Unfortunately, I’m beginning to finally believe the notion that it is possible to have too much time on your hands.

To give you an example, as I write this post, I’m currently sitting in a desk chair, spinning around in circle with my laptop on the top of my lap. (Ohhh, so that’s why they call it that.)

I expect by the thirtieth consecutive turn I’ll be a little queasy, but will have successfully burned at least a minute of my day of zilch.

I was thinking that Spring Break would be nothing but loads of fun for me, and so far it has. But I know that in the coming days of absolutely zero activity, my ADHD will kick into high gear and I’ll probably end up building massive forts out of Brad Grimes’ couch cushions.

Where have the days of G.I. Joe and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle action figures gone?

They’re probably stored away in some box in my mom’s attic. All dusty and stuff.

I brought a few books with me to read while on break; nothing fancy, just some essentials.

A few Donald Millers, God’s Blogs, Generous Orthodoxy, and a C.S. Lewis classic.

I don’t think I’ll get around to reading them all, but as long as I carry them with me wherever I go, people will think that I’m good humored, trendy, and intelligent for my choices of literature. (This would be misleading because I actually needed to use spell check to write “intelligent”. Make that twice.)

Since I’m without zero to do today, perhaps I will make some much needed updates and postages on Push.

But the key word there is “perhaps”. I’ve found that with the more time I have on my hands, the less I actually get done. I don’t know what that means besides the fact that I’m a horrible time manager. I guess it’s a good thing I don’t work for Rolex. (ZING!)

Anyway, there’s no real point to this post, other than to feel slightly more productive than I already do, and to give some other bored people something else to read concerning another bored person. Maybe whoever else is bored should come on down to Auburn and we can talk about being bored together.

Sounds like time well spent to me.


Jar

Pick up the Styx...

3 comments:

Amber said...

This has nothing to do with Jared's post.

Ok, so here is the thing. I went to church, Granger Community Church, this evening (Gccwired.com) and we are at the cusp of a new series, The Viral Effect. It related to Push 100 percent, so I need to share it while it is fresh in my mind.

With what I said before, we need to spread the word of God one person at a time and hope it starts a chain reaction. After tonight, I think I need to be considering to do the exact opposite. Mark Beeson, my pastor, used YouTube as a perfect example. When you see a video that you like, you automatically send it to every single person you know. You want to share that humor, information, and knowledge with EVERYONE, not just someone you know that would be interested in hearing it. Within the matter of a few hours, thousands of people, all over the world, are watching those videos. We need to do the same thing with God's word. We need to become viral with it, instead of linear.

We all received glow sticks and were asked to do the wave with the sticks and see how long it took the wave to reach the other side of the room. It got to the other side, but in no haste. Then, Mark Beeson stood in the middle of the congregation and told us to raise our glow stick whenever we saw anyone raise theirs. It was instantaneous. That is the difference between linear motion and becoming viral. Genius! If we spread our thoughts and ideas to everyone, we can accomplish what we all want much quicker. Isn't that what we all want?

Happy Easter, everyone.

-Amber

Anonymous said...

can the next video you post be any gayer than that one?
answer- No

love you-matt stine

Jrice8002003 said...

Amber-

Thanks for sharing! That was really awesome. Sounds like we all missed a heck of a sermon.

I'll be the first to admit that I hunt for and post videos on at least a weekly basis. When I see a funny/interesting video, I usually think to myself "who would want to see this?" I usually end up sending the video to only those who I think would get a kick out of it.

After reading your comment, something just clicked---when spreading God's word, we should not be sending it to only a select few (e.g. those who you'd feel COMFORTABLE talking about Christ with).....we should be sending the Word EVERYWHERE and to EVERYONE.

Let's take off the filters and virally spread God's awesome Word to everyone we encounter.

-Tyler B.