Thursday, March 20, 2008

Why I'm doing this...Part Jared...

I've always been the kind of person who likes to share ideas. Now, ask me to share my food, and you'd more than likely get a less than genial response.

(I apologize for the immediate hostilities; I just bought some Cadbury
© Eggs and I'm feeling slightly protective.)

When Tyler and I discussed the idea for PUSH, we may have been overreaching in our immediate goals, but they are without a doubt something to overreach for.

Personally, I love the idea of a place for like-minded (and even different-minded) people to come together and discuss thoughts on life, culture, God, etc.

My goal is to post thoughts, ideas, articles, interviews and other little tidbits (seriously, what's a tidbit anyway?) at least once a day, with the knowledge that it will more than likely happen a few times a week.

I look forward to hearing from you guys, and please, don't be afraid to put yourselves out there.

Because it's safe in here.

Keep on pushing,
Jar

A little somethin' for all you fly muthas...

4 comments:

Amber said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amber said...

You know, I have thought about how I could change the world since I was a 5 year old, in my Osh Kosh Bgosh clothing, swinging on my swingset. I distinctly remember vowing at that time that I would be someone who made a difference.

Through the years, I realized how difficult it is to change people's train of thought and get them on board with your mission. It takes stealth, creative ways.

Then, I got it, I was asked to give a speech at graduation and everything clicked. I stood in from of a class of under 1000 and all of their parents at the great Notre Dame and I poured it out there. I said something like, how many people in here want to change the world? Every hand shot up. I asked them, rhetorically, of course, how they felt they could accomplish such a feat. They were deer in a headlight.

I told them that they need to change themselves, realign their thinking, reevaluate their goals and look at the person looking back in the mirror. Did this person have what it takes? Upon getting your self straightened out, then you can start your adventure. Change ONE person at a time. Do you know what kind of epidemic that causes? Help someone find God, get them groceries, be a friend, whatever they need. Get that individual on board with you and tell them your mission, have them join you. Ever hear about the six degrees of separation? Use it.

Can we do something like the Red Campaign? No, we don't have billions of dollars, right? But, for those who need a way to start, start small, watch the fire grow.

Amber

Jared and/or Tyler said...

I totally agree. It all starts with the little things that are presented to us. 99% of the people want to change something and only about 1% actually do something. Let's make that grow.

Jrice8002003 said...

Cadbury cream eggs??? Disgusting! God frowns upon Cadbury cream eggs!!!

OK, back to the purpose of this blog....here's a pretty cool article i came across:

http://www.americanchronicle.com/articles/48591

"He who thinks he leads and has no one following him is only taking a walk."

"Leaders must be close enough to relate to others, but far enough ahead to motivate them."

In response to that second quote, I feel that I have the first part down. I would definitely say that I have many close relationships and that I do my best to relate to as many people as I can. However, it's the second part that's the key....If you're not far enough in front, are you really leading? In my opinion (and the author's), you're not. I think we should all take time to evaluate just how far in front we really are. Push toward the front! Something to chew on.