Thursday, April 10, 2008

It's gettin' pretty esteemy in here...

Culture tells us that we are the most important things in our own lives. While I gather that to some degree, we should hold ourselves to be important and of value, to go so far is contradictory to what God calls from us.

We are fearfully and wonderfully made (Psalm 139:14-16) and much more valuable than the sparrows (Matthew 10:29-31), but if we focus so much on our worth, we lose sight of our brokenness and the pain that comes with that

I’ve struggled with issues of self-esteem my entire life, like almost everyone else, but I can honestly say that having exercised certain struggles to the point of being able to look beyond them, I’m able to see myself in those moments for what I really am: a beautiful creation that has gone awry.

I’m not what was originally intended. Death was not a part of the plan. Disease was not a part of the plan. Divorce was not a part of the plan. Molestation was not a part of the plan.

It just so happens though, that these things became a part of the story. My story. Each one has provided along with it’s occurrence, a blow to the gut of my esteem. My perception of not just myself, but even others has been tainted by the crud of my past.

But it’s verses like the ones stated above that remind me I am not what and who I tend to think I am. Though we are a messed up work of art, we’re still the work of an Artist.

Our society though, tends to not think along these lines. Self-esteem is seemingly wrapped up in possessions, careers, sex, body image, etc. True, all of these things are aspects of self-esteem for Christians and non-Christians alike, but they are not, and should not, be the ultimate measuring stick for who we are.

If we stripped ourselves of our fancy clothes, flashy cars, and sexy relationships, what’s left? We are left with ourselves. Unfortunately, not enough people in this world really know who they are because they are blinded by the brightness of all that surrounds them, like deer in headlights.

How then are does one respond to a culture that reminds them that the most important is me, myself and I?

It takes integrity, honesty, love, and courage. You could even mix it up with a touch of bluntness.


Jar

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

good question...if you take away all material possessions what/who am i? do people love me because i have been loving to them or because of everything exerior...

Anonymous said...

I agree with anonymous #1. :) I think many people say they love you because they want something from you. They want the shiny car, nice clothes, sexy sex!! :) But when it comes down to it, they can't look at you in the eyes when you're standing in front of them 20years from now, naked, overweight, and covered in hair. Lol.

Anonymous said...

from now on you should post as vixen cuz that would be fly...and is there not sexy sex?